What is the Academy of Health and Medical Sciences?
The Academy of Health and Medical Sciences is designed to give students an overview of the healthcare industry and insight into the healthcare provider's role. The Academy provides students with the medical skills and training necessary to succeed in post-secondary healthcare career education and/or to successfully transition into the healthcare workforce. The intense clinical and laboratory experience is conducted at area hospitals and other health care facilities.
Why an Academy?
An Academy integrates college-preparatory curriculum with a career theme. In other words, an Academy offers
- "career-focused curriculum" to a subset of students (school within a school)
- by involving teachers from different subjects (college-prep academics)
- working together as a team and providing students with exposure (work-place experience)
- to their chosen career field (partnerships with local businesses).
Students learn marketable career skills integrated with a rigorous academic program that incorporates technology into the classroom.
The Academy of Health and Medical Sciences targets students who like to work with people and who have an interest in health-related careers. Benefits include:
- "Hands-on" technical training using state-of-the-art medical equipment
- Being part of a "select team" to accomplish similar career and academic goals
- Opportunity for national industry certification
- Participation in nationally recognized academic and medical competitions
- "Real world" clinical and laboratory experiences
- Meets requirements of 4-year college enrollment
- Marketable skills enabling student to enter workforce upon graduation
- Rigorous and relevant curriculum that meets Florida's Bright Futures Gold Seal Scholarship program
- Career Pathways— opportunity to earn six college credits by taking two assessments (Medical Terminology and Professions of Caring) at the completion of program.
For more information about the Academy of Health please view the informational brochure.